2004/2005 Academic Year

Instructor's Handbook

Chapter 1: Quarter Procedures

Chapter 2: Enrollment, Reserving Classrooms

Chapter 3: Grades


Chapter 1: Quarter Procedures

A. Class Schedule & Registration Guide

A Class Schedule & Registration Guide is given to each instructor for each academic quarter. This publication contains most of the information needed for undergraduate instruction. Please note that morning classes begin on the hour or half hour and afternoon classes begin 10 minutes after the hour or half hour. This publication will provide you with the information as to when and where your class will be meeting for the quarter. This information is also available at our Web site: http://psychology.ucdavis.edu on the Undergraduate page under schedules.

B. Office Hours

Each quarter, instructor and teaching assistant office hours are posted on the bulletin board outside of the advising office and on the Web page. Office hours are also posted on door cards outside each instructor's office. Instructors and TAs will be receiving an e-mail requesting office hours at the beginning of each quarter. Once office hours are entered on the Web based form, they can be printed on paper and posted outside your office.  The usual number of office hours per week is 3-4 hours. 

C. Teaching Assistant/Reader Responsibilities and Tasks

The Graduate Studies office has directed departments to provide Teaching Assistants and Readers with a written listing of duties and estimates as to the amount of time expected to be devoted to each duty. You will not be held to these estimate figures, but Graduate Studies is interested in figures being listed "as accurately as possible" so that students have a clear understanding of their responsibilities well before starting their assignments. Instructors should meet with their TAs before the quarter begins to discuss employment duties. The TA/Reader Responsibilities and Tasks form will be given to each instructor before the quarter begins. If you have questions about filling out this form, see the Graduate Program Coordinator, Bill Antaramian.

D. Classroom Instructional Media

Classrooms on the UC Davis campus have been classified by the different types of instructional media in the room. Most rooms are equipped  with a smart panel/media cabinet, computer, DVD player, video cassette recorder, overhead projector, slide projector and screen. To view the configuration for your classroom, check the Office of the Registrar, Classroom Guide, on the Web at http://registrar.ucdavis.edu. If you need additional audio/visual equipment in your classroom you may check out the equipment from the Psychology Department office or the Classroom Technology Services at Surge II, 752-3553. For distribution and management of media keys for access to the media equipment in the classroom contact Classroom Technology Services. 

E. Research Opportunities for Undergraduates

Psychology undergraduates are encouraged to engage in their own research or help a faculty member with their research projects. Units are available to students for this work under the courses titled Psychology 99 or 199, Special Study. Usually, 30 hours per quarter will equal 1 unit. Forms are available in the advising office and must be filled out for each quarter the student works. These forms need to be completed by the student and signed by a Psychology faculty member. Lecturers and graduate students who are teaching an upper division course for the quarter may also sponsor 199 students. A Web based request form is available to faculty to advertise their research positions to prospective students at http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/psy199/index.cfm. It is located under department links on the Psychology home page.

Chapter 2

A. Enrollment

Class rosters can be downloaded via http://my.ucdavis.edu . Instructors or TA's may request a copy of the class roster on disk after the add deadline each quarter, from the advising staff. You are not required to take roll to verify enrollment, but you may wish to do so if your classroom is overcrowded with students. Only enrolled students should be permitted seats in your course.

Our computer system, BANNER, keeps track of enrolled students and generates a waiting list on a first come, first serve basis. As students drop courses, students on the waiting list are automatically enrolled in the course. This enrollment system allows the computer to monitor the number of students in a course. The Psychology Department has made a policy to allow this computerized system to work in controlling enrollment, until the twelfth day of instruction, when the waiting list disappears. After the twelfth day of instruction, if you wish to allow additional students into your course and it is closed to enrollment, you may issue a PTA (Permission to ADD) card to the remaining students in the class. These cards are available to instructors only and may be requested from the advising office staff.

B. Reserving a Classroom in Young Hall for Your TBA Course: To reserve 102A, 104, 145, 162, 166 or 188 Young Hall, please contact the Marsha March  in 141 Young. Reservations should be made at least one month in advance of the beginning of the quarter. Availability of classrooms can be viewed: http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/Rooms/RoomDescriptions  

C. Review Sessions

Review sessions may be scheduled outside of class time by making a room reservation with the advising staff at least two days in advance of the session. A special use permit is issued by the Office of the Registrar to use the classroom for your review session.

D. Final Examinations

Final examinations are given in the same classroom that the course is held in each quarter. A final examination schedule is available each quarter in the Room Schedule & Directory and in the Psychology Advising Office showing the day and times of the exams. Holding a final examination at a time other than the published time in the Room Schedule & Directory requires the written mutual consent of the instructors and all students involved in the change, ie. enrolled students. Any student who does not consent in writing to the alternate time must be permitted to take the examination at the officially scheduled time. An alternate time for the final examination may not be scheduled for a date earlier than the first day of finals week.

A special room is reserved for students with disabilities who require additional time on final exams. Students must present a letter from the Student Disability Center recommending extended time on final exams to use the special rooms. The rooms change each quarter and instructors will be notified by the advising office staff as to the location for the quarter.

D. Course Evaluations

Course evaluations should be done during the tenth week of the quarter. Ladder faculty members secure teaching evaluations for every course that they teach within a given year, at least once during that year. Lecturers and Associates-In are required to secure evaluations each time that they teach. Pick up or have your teaching assistant pick up, the evaluation scantrons and pencils from Melody Boyer in the advising office. Return the completed evaluation scantrons and pencils to the advising office on the day the evaluations are completed. The printout of evaluation scores and student's comments will be filed in each instructor's personnel file.

E. TA Evaluations

Each quarter you will be asked to evaluate your Teaching Assistant or Reader on their duties performed. This form will be distributed by the Graduate Program Coordinator Bill Antaramian at the end of each quarter and should be returned to him for placement in the student's file.

F. Release of Course Materials

Students should be advised to see the instructor in charge or the teaching assistant when picking up exams, homework, or papers. Staff should not be involved in providing drop-off and/or pick-up services for undergraduate students. Instructors should keep exams for at least one quarter, in case a student wants to challenge a grade.

Chapter 3

A. Grade Rosters

Grades are required to be submitted electronically.  Electronic grading is due 72 hours after the final is given.  You can download your grading roster at http://my.ucdavis.edu You will need a UCD LoginID and kerberos password to download/upload the grading rosters. Forms for assigning incomplete grades and grades to students not enrolled in the course are distributed in your mailbox. 

B. Grading Options

1 Letter graded courses - valid grades are A through F, (A-D may be modified by (+) or (-) suffixes).

2. The grade Incomplete ,"I", shall be assigned only when the student's work is of passing quality (C- or better) and represents a significant portion of the requirement for a final grade, but is incomplete for good cause as determined by the instructor. "Good cause" may include illness, serious personal problems, an accident, a death in the immediate family, a large and necessary increase in working hours, or other situations deemed to be of equal gravity. A departmental form needs to be completed when assigning an "I". See the advising staff for further information.

3. The grade In Progress, "IP" is for a course extending over more than one quarter, evaluation of student performance is deferred until the end of the final quarter. This option would be used for Psc 194HA & 194HB or Psc 390A & 390B in the Psychology Department.

4. The grade Enrolled - No Work Submitted, "NS" shall be assigned for a student who, to the best of the instructor's knowledge, did not present any work subject to grading. Do not record an "I" or "F" grade under these circumstances. Those students not meeting the NS definition must be give a letter grade.

C. Posting Grades

Grades are usually posted on the departmental bulletin boards in four glass cases. Keys to the glass cases are available in the advising office. Instructors may not post grade reports. To post grades, instructors may use the last 4-5 digits of a student's ID number or some other type of identifier known only to the instructor and the student. Please make sure to remove outdated material from the glass cases.

D. Changing Grades

Grade Change forms and Completion of Incomplete forms are available in the advising office. Grades may be changed for clerical or procedural reasons. The notation clerical error or procedural error must be fully explained in detail on the Grade Change form. A clerical error, such as incorrect addition of points, is automatically granted by the Office of the Registrar. A procedural error grade change goes to the Grade Change Committee in the Office of the Registrar. A procedural error is a mistake by someone other than the student, in the conduct of a class or the grading procedures which results in an incorrect evaluation of a student. Each case is judged on its merits. After completion of the Grade Change form, please sign and return to the advising office. The advising staff will obtain the chair's signature and forward the paperwork to the Office of the Registrar.


UC Davis has many resources for students experiencing problems with their academic life. If a student needs help with study habits or learning skills, the Learning Skills Center is available to assist them. They offer many valuable workshops each quarter. Many students are overwhelmed with the rigors of an academic education at UC Davis and may need to seek help at the Counseling Center, where experienced counselors are available for individual consultation and group sessions.

A. Academic Misconduct

If you suspect a student of academic misconduct contact the Office of Student Judicial Affairs at 752-1128. If the case has not been resolved by the time grade rosters are due, please write "evaluation incomplete" in the "Memorandum" column of the grade roster, and mark a "Y" on the scantron.

B. Learning Disabilities and Accommodation

UC Davis has a Student Disability Center to help students with any learning disabilities encountered in their course work. The student should produce a letter from this center, with instructions to the instructor on the specific accommodations needed for this student to perform. These may include taking an exam in a separate room or for an extended length of time. More information is available at 752-3184.

C. Advising Resources

Student advising is available on campus from a variety of sources. They include: