• Department
  • Undergraduate Program
  • Graduate Program
  • People
  • Research
  • GIVE
  • PSYCHOLOGY 190    Section: 1

    SEMINAR

    Spring Quarter 2008

    Units: 4
    Prerequisites: Junior or senior standing, major in Psychology or consent of instructor.

    Advanced Cognitive Neuroscience, Spring 2008

    Psychology 190-001

     

     

     

    Instructor:


    Tamara Swaab, swaab@ucdavis.edu

    Young Hall, Room 286J, tel 752-4207


     

    Course description: Covers neurobiological basis of higher cognitive functions. Topics include visual cognition, attention, memory, executive function, language and consciousness. The lectures and readings will reflect the multiple approaches of cognitive neuroscience: studies of neurological patients, functional neuroimaging, single unit physiology, as well as information processing models of cognition.

     

    Prerequisites:

    PSC 132 or 135 and consent of instructor.

     

    When: Mon and Wed, 1:30-3pm

     

    Where: Conference Room, Center for Mind and Brain (CMB), 267 Cousteau Place.

    For directions, see http://mind.ucdavis.edu/content/FindUs

     

    Grading:

     

    1) Weekly participation and questions (35%)

    2) Oral presentation on assigned paper (20%)

    3) Final paper (35%)

     

     

    Course Website:

    Information on the course will be posted on the website through MyUCDavis.

     

    Readings:

    One review article/chapter will be assigned as background reading for each lecture. Several empirical papers will be assigned for each discussion. Most readings will be made available on the course website. When electronic copies are unavailable, papers will be handed out in class.

     

    If you did not take PSC 135 and find that you require additional background, we recommend: Gazzaniga, Mangun & Ivry, Cognitive Neuroscience: The Biology of the Mind, 2nd ed. New York: W. W. Norton, 2002.

     

    Discussions:

    Each of you will be asked to give a presentation on one paper. You will also be asked to serve as a discussant for another paper. The quality of your presentation will determine 75% of your participation grade; your role as discussant will determine the remaining 25%.

     

     

    Presenters:

     

    Please prepare a half-hour Powerpoint presentation covering the following:

    a)     sufficient background information to understand the motivation for the experiment

    b)     a clear explanation of the question(s) being addressed

    c)      a concise summary of the methods  no nitty-gritty details; provide only what info is needed to understand and critique the results

    d)     the take-home message for key figures and tables and a summary for additional results of importance

    e)     what youve learned from this paper, additional questions that remain unanswered, and/or further experiments that could shed light on these results

     

    Advice on giving effective presentations will be available on the course website.

     

    Discussants: The role of the discussants is to generate a discussion about the paper that is being presented. Discussants should read the paper carefully and be ready to give their comments/critiques and ask thought-provoking questions.

     

    Paper: Each of you will be asked to write a review paper, due at the end of the quarter. You can choose from one of 6 suggested paper topics.

     

    For more details, Paper Guidelines will be posted on the course website. You will have until June 4th to hand in your paper, but may do so before this date.

     

     


    CLASS SCHEDULE

     

    Approaches and Methods of Cognitive Neuroscience

     

    1. Wed, March 29 - Lecture: fMRI and other brain imaging methods (Silvia)

     

    Background:

    Rorden C, Karnath HO (2004) Using human brain lesions to infer function: a relic from a past era in the fMRI age? Nat Rev Neurosci. 5(10):813-9.

     

    Wilkinson D, Halligan P. (2004) The relevance of behavioural measures for functional-imaging studies of cognition. Nat Rev Neurosci. 5(1):67-73.

     

    Fri, March 31: Cesar Chavez Day

     

    2. Wed, April 5- Lecture: Cognitive Psychology + ERPs (Tamara)

     

    Text(s):

    Textbook Information not Available Yet
    Classroom Class Schedule Course Website
    Center for Mind and Brain M W   1:30 PM - 3:00 PM
    Instructor Instructor Email Office Office Hours
    Tamara Swaab , Ph.D. 268J Young Hall